Thursday, December 11, 2014

Upcoming Surgery...


On Monday, I’m going to have a tummy tuck. 


Since September 2013, I’ve lost about 60 pounds.  I’ve gotten tons of compliments and I feel really, really good.  This is the thinnest I’ve been in since probably eighth grade.  I am not exaggerating.  I fit into clothes I haven’t fit into in a lot of years, and when I go shopping, sizes I haven’t dreamed of are now suddenly too big for me.  At least once a week (especially on Fridays when I wear pants to school) a fellow teacher or sometimes (gasp!) a student will tell me that I’m “melting away.”  Yeah, that’s pretty freakin’ awesome.

Except for this gelatinous mound of flesh that is my belly.

I was well over 200 pounds for a 
very long time, and now my stomach resembles a deflated balloon.  It is gross.  I can fit into a size six jeans (but then my jellylike belly muffintops – yes, I invented a verb – out of the waist band for an oh-so-unappealing look.) 

I’ve tried the gym and personal trainers. I’ve talked to doctors.  Here’s what they told me:  dream on, white girl.  You can undo that sort of damage.  There is a lot (probably 4-5 POUNDS) of excess skin and fat that cannot be touched unless a plastic surgeon whacks it off.

To answer your questions:

Yes, I am having it done locally (Dr. Sleeper in New Hartford).  No, it isn’t covered by insurance (it’s costing me about $7,000).  No, I’m not scared.  I’m actually pretty psyched. 

I want to jog and not hear fwump, fwump, fwump when belly
bounces like a well-endowed woman running a marathon without a sports bra.  

I want to wear pants that fit my actual waist size and not have to allot for my enormous belly.

Heck, I want to be able to tuck in my shirt if the spirit moves me.

The recovery is approximately three weeks.  I am taking off next week and then I have two weeks for Christmas break.   It’s day surgery, so I’ll be home by 1 PM at the latest on Monday.  Feel free to call, but I’m probably going to be pretty drugged (legally, of course!)

I will post updates as I progress!  Wish me luck!

No comments: