Monday, December 15, 2014

Pre and Post


Today was my tummy tuck!!!

Sunday, December 14, I had to be on a clear liquid diet.  Usually, meat-eaters have chicken or beef broth, you know, something with some flavor.  I my options were vegetable broth and vegetable broth.  I have never enjoyed vegetable broth (other than to cook with), and so I didn’t buy any.  I did find “No Chicken” Chicken Broth (some vegetarian concoction), but it tasted terrible (I should have guessed it would).  Instead, yesterday my diet consisted of ice pops and white grape juice. 

As a result, I lost three pounds!

I woke up this morning and took a nice long soak in the tub since I
The queen of clash!
can’t bathe or shower until Thursday (can you say mega greasy hair?)  I was wicked thirsty because I wasn’t allowed to eat or drink (not even an ice pop) after midnight.  I got dressed in my oh-so fashionable duds (spider web PJ pants, Tiernen’s gray flannel), and since I was clashing, I figured I would wear striped socks because if I was going to have clashing patterns, I might as well go all out. 

I got to Dr. Sleeper’s, kissed Darryl goodbye, and met with the nurse.  She was gorgeous and perfect (what else would you expect from someone who works in a plastic surgeon’s office), but when I found out she was a grandmother, I was extremely impressed!  She took my vitals and had me slip into a very sexy cap and gown (at least it wasn’t from the cheapo paper kind you usually get at the doctor’s office).

Hmmm... not feeling this color combo.
I met with the anesthesiologist who was nice and walked me through the whole procedure as far as he was concerned.  He told me that the IV was going into my hand and if you know me, I hate, hate, hate IV.   When I was a freshman in high school, my beloved friend Chris R. was in the hospital, and when I went to visit him, I walked in while the nurse was starting an IV and I passed out!  Until the day Chris passed away, he would call me and whisper, “intravenous” just to tease me.  It was a joke between us for 26 years. 

IV in my hand, well, I was not thrilled, but the anesthesiologist promised me that it would be painless.  I know, I know, it is ridiculous that I was going through major surgery and I was worried about the IV, but I’m a big baby like that.

The anesthesiologist also told me that towards the end of the surgery, I WOULD BEGIN TO WAKE UP AND WOULD BE AWARE OF WHAT WAS GOING ON.  This, of course, scared the daylights out of me because I didn’t want to be AWAKE while they were cutting enormous sections of fat off of my body!  But he assured me that I wouldn’t feel a thing.  I had my doubts…

Dr. Sleeper came in and marked me up with a purple marker and showed me what he was going to cut.  The cut resembled a huge upside down capital T.  It was embarrassing as hell to be completely naked in front of a stranger, even a doctor, but hey, this was unfortunately unavoidable.  At least purple is one of my favorite colors. 

The actual surgery didn’t start until 9:30.  I was on the operating table in a room with three nurses (two of them named Keith), the anesthesiologist, and Dr. Sleeper.  My arms were out on either side of me like I was being crucified.  The IV did go into my hand, but thankfully it didn’t hurt and I was out like a minute later. 

I did in fact wake up towards the end of my surgery.  The female nurse (she was not named Keith) said, “Rebecca, it’s almost done and it looks great.”  I smiled.  Also, they put up a shield like they do when you have a c-section so you didn’t have to see them taking out your insides (in my case, making me a new belly button – really!).  They even were so kind to have a mirror to show me the result (but I was still drugged and really didn’t notice)

The surgery took about three and a half hours.  The nurses (one of the Keiths and the woman) dressed me and helped me walk around a little bit.  I have bandages around my entire midsection.  I will see Dr. Sleeper on Thursday to take out my pain pumps.  I have a drain that I have to empty every few hours (ew). 

I can walk unassisted (even stairs) and feel relatively ok.  I’m sore, but otherwise, I am very happy I went through with this surgery!

Oh, and before we drove home, we made a stop:  at the tattoo shop so my piercer Ed could put my piercings back in.

Ahhhh.
Yes, I look like crap, but at least my piercings are in!

2 comments:

Autumn Hope said...

your awesome. and im a little jealous as you know I had 4 csections and would love to get rid of my baby Flap yuck.

Rebecca Hotaling Nix said...

Awww, thanks, Autumn. Love and miss you!