Sunday, January 11, 2015

Memoir...


I have a few friends who are dealing with some stuff right now, and it got me thinking about the stuff that happened to me in my life.  We all have stuff.  Some stuff is bigger than others.  What I think differentiates big stuff from little stuff is this:  how people deal with it.

For some people, it getting diagnosed with an incurable illness is probably the worst thing that could ever happen to them, but I can honestly say… that was not the case with me.

Several years ago, when I started my MFA (Master’s of Fine Arts) in Creative Writing, I started writing extensively about the first six weeks of my MS diagnosis.  It was part therapy and part response to people asking about it nonstop…  it ended being a full-length memoir.  I titled it “Uncomfortably Numb:  My First Six Weeks with Multiple Sclerosis.”  I thought it was pretty good.  I tried to get it published. 

Needless to say, it didn’t.

But I’ve been blogging quite a bit lately, and I have readers (thank you!) and so I figured maybe there was some interested in reading said memoir.

If there is, I’ll post chapters (probably chopped up). 

Maybe it will help someone.  Maybe you are just nosey.  Maybe you are genuinely curious about what I went through those first yucky weeks. 

Maybe you are clueless and didn’t even know I had MS (thanks, oh observant one!)

I haven’t looked at it for a while and I think SOMEONE should be reading it.

Yeah, call me the MS Narcissist Queen!

No comments: