Sunday, December 18, 2011

TARGET(ed) for Hell




I need a stable for my nativity set. I have a teeny tiny one (two inch high pieces). Eventually, Gram promised me her antique one that I played with as a child, but I don’t want it UNTIL she passes (I feel that getting it before then will hasten her passing). I just set up the figures under the tree BUT my cats play with them! I will walk into the kitchen and find a shepherd under the table, find a donkey under a desk, or almost vacuum up baby Jesus. Not cool.

Anyway, I went into Target to buy a stable, just a simple, little, cheap-o one to keep the cats out and keep the three wise men from turning into the two wise men. I realize it is late in the year, and I take full responsibility for this. I expected them to say, “sorry, ma’am, we are sold out.”

That is not the reaction I received. Instead, the salesman looked at me like I said, “Hi, can you please tell me where you keep your animal sacrificing supplies?”

Okay, I don’t care if you don’t believe in Jesus. I don’t care if you aren’t Christian. I don’t care if you, like Darryl, think Christmas is all about Santa Claus. I’m okay with that, really I am. HOWEVER, as a country with religious choice, you have to at least acknowledge that SOME people believe that Christmas is about the birth of Jesus Christ (Christmas does have Christ in it, ya know). You don’t have to be an English teacher or even all that brilliant to able to note the similarities in the BIRTH OF THE SON and the BIRTH OF THE SUN!

End result, this Pagan girl sucked it up and went to Hobby Lobby. Hobby Lobby, just in case you didn’t know, closes on Sunday to keep the Sabbath holy. At the HL, those good Christians told me that they indeed had stables, tons of them, but so late in the season, they were sold out.

With a smile, I thanked them, and walked out.

I guess the cats get to bat around the Christ-child for another season. Next year, I’ll go to Wal-Mart and buy a damn stable around May, when they start stocking back-to-school items.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Baby Jesus probably likes kitty cats... Oh,and go check out Etsy for a stable.

Love this!

Rebecca Hotaling Nix said...

I was thinking Legos... but my daughter is almost 16 and her Legos were donated long ago...